Section 504

Section 504 is a federal law designed to protect the rights of individuals with disabilities in programs and activities [Such as those provided through the Gale-Ettrick-Trempealeau School District] that receive Federal financial assistance from the U.S. Department of Education (ED).

FAQ’s about Section 504 and the Education of Children with Disabilities

(Section 504 of the Vocational Rehabilitation Act of 1973)

The following is a description of the rights granted by federal law to students with disabilities. The intent of the law is to keep you informed concerning decisions about your child and of your rights if you disagree with the decisions. You have the right to:

  1. Have your child take part in and receive benefits from public education programs without discrimination because of his/her disabling conditions;
  2. Have the school district advise you of your rights under federal law;
  3. Receive notice with respect to the identification, evaluation, or placement of your child;
  4. Have your child receive a free appropriate public education and the right to be educated with non-disabled students to the maximum extent appropriate. The school district must make reasonable accommodations to allow your child an equal opportunity to participate in school and school-related activities.
  5. Have your child educated in facilities and receive services comparable to those provided non-disabled students;
  6. Have your child receive special education and related services if s/he is found to be eligible;
  7. Have evaluation, educational, and placement decisions made based upon a variety of information sources, and by persons who know the student, the evaluation data, and placement options;
  8. Have your child be given an equal opportunity to participate in nonacademic and extracurricular activities;
  9. Examine all relevant records relating to decisions regarding your child’s identification, evaluation, educational program and placement;
  10. Obtain copies of educational records at a reasonable cost unless the fee would effectively deny you access;
  11. Receive a response from the district to requests for explanations of your child’s school records;
  12. Request amendment of your child’s educational records if there is reasonable cause to believe that they are inaccurate, misleading or otherwise in violation of the privacy rights of your child. If the school district refuses a request for amendment, it shall notify you and advise you of your right to a hearing;
  13. Request mediation or an impartial due process hearing related to decisions or actions regarding your child’s identification, evaluation, educational program or placement. You and the student may take part in the hearing and have an attorney represent you. You may also ask for payment of reasonable attorney fees if you are successful in your claim
  14. File a local grievance.

The person in this district responsible for assuring that the district complies with Section 504 is:

Director of Pupil Services
Aaron Engel
(608) 582-4657 x1900
17511 N Main St
Galesville  WI 54630

Section 504 Parent Rights

For more information about Section 504, please contact the Director of Pupil Services or the school psychologist in your child’s building.

Director of Special Education/Pupil Services
Aaron Engel
(608) 582-4657 x1900

Facility Requests

Request school facilities for extra-curricular activities.

Food Service

Lunch and Breakfast menus, meal rates, and more.

Parent Forms

Medical, student information, transportation forms, and more.

Pay Online

Pay for meals, fees, and more with a credit card.

RedHawk TV

Watch live streaming events from the district.

School Board

Meeting minutes, agendas, and calendar.