What is the flu?
Flu, also called influenza, is a contagious disease of the lungs and airways. Usually influenza viruses are spread in droplets of cough and sneezes.
* Fever * Headache * Sore Throat * Body Aches * Cough * Runny Nose * Stomach and Intestinal Discomfort * Extreme Tiredness
What is the flu pandemic?
A flu pandemic means a worldwide outbreak of the disease.
How can I protect my family and myself?
• Wash hands often (for 20 seconds)
• Cover your cough and sneeze with tissue or sleeve
• Stay home if you feel sick
• Avoid touching your nose, mouth, and eyes
• Ask about a flu shot
Practice Healthy Habits!
Eat healthy, get plenty of rest, and exercise regularly.
How Does Seasonal Flu Differ from Pandemic Flu?
|Seasonal Flu||Pandemic Flu|
|• Occurs every year, usually in the winter||• Occurs rarely (3 times in the 20th century)|
|• Affects 10% of the population||• May affect 25% of the population|
|• For most people it is an unpleasant but not a life-threatening infection||• It could be a more serious infection for everyone|
|• Annual vaccination is available||• Vaccine probably would not be available in the early stages of a pandemic|